Monday, January 16, 2012

Being an adult can really SUCK!

Back when I was about 22 or 23 years old I worked with a young girl, she was probably 16 at the time. We often gabbed about life, school and families. One day she came to me upset. She started to tell me of some of the troubles she was having with her boyfriend. As we talked I realized that what she was telling me was serious and more than just the drama that teen relationships encompass. I was worried for her safety and knew she needed help.
I told her, "I think you need to talk to an adult." she looked blankly at me. It was then I realized I was the adult and she was "telling" ME!
My brain switched quickly into "adult mode" and I got her the proper help she needed.
It was that day I realized, "I guess I AM an adult."
I had never really thought of it before. I sure didn't "act" like an adult and I sure didn't think of myself as an adult. 
Over the years as my life has changed and shifted onto different paths, I've had to deal with more and more "adult" things. Each one seems worse than the next. After having my kids, things changed even more and some of the stuff I've had to deal with seems so "adult". These are things I remember my parents having to deal with, and since they are what I class as an adult, I always feel so old when I'm doing them.

I remember when I was younger I couldn't wait to be an adult. I thought it would be great. You could come and go as you pleased, do whatever you wanted! You were in charge of your own life!
Little did I know what level of responsibility would come with that freedom!

As I've gotten older and now with kids, life seems to have gotten so much more complicated and busy. 
Back in highschool  (when I thought life was "hard") we could ask, "What are you doing Friday night, wanna come over to my house for a party?" The answer was simple. We just had to check with our parents and then it was a go!
Now when I want to see my friends we have to plan up to 3 months in advance, cross check schedules, organize transportation and spend a ton of time coordinating with all the different people involved to see what date works with everyone! There's almost always someone left out due to schedule conflicts.
It's sad.
When did life become so complicated?
There's bills, debt, car repairs, cleaning (lots of cleaning), house maintenance, chores, budgeting, childcare, work, the list goes on and on. 
Sometimes when I look back I want to give myself a hard shake and say, "You have it so easy right now! Don't complain!"
As I get older and things on my body start to break or not work as well as they used to I know that there will come a time when I'll look back at this time in my life and say these same words.
"You have it so easy right now! Don't complain!"
Maybe I should stop and listen and take my own advice NOW!!

But on a lighter note, 
Some funny things about getting older :)
Enjoy....


~ "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."

                                      

Some 15 year old girlfriends decided to meet for dinner. They discussed where to eat and finally agreed on McDonald's next to the Sea Side Restaurant because they only had $6.50 between them and Bobby Bruce, the cute boy in science class, lived on that street.

10 years later, the same girlfriends, now 25-years old, discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally they agreed to meet at the  Sea Side Restaurant because it had free snacks, there was no cover charge, the beer was cheap, the band was good and there were lots of cute guys.

10 years later, the same girlfriends, now 35-years old, discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally they agreed to meet at the Sea Side Restaurant because the combos were good, it was near the gym and if they went late enough, there wouldn't be many whiny little kids.

10 years later, the same girlfriends, now 45-years old, discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally they agreed to meet at the  Sea Side Restaurant because the Martinis were big, and the waiters wore tight pants and had nice buns.

10 years later, the same girlfriends, now 55-years old, discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally they agreed to meet at the Sea Side Restaurant because the prices were reasonable, it had windows which opened (in case of hot flashes), the wine list was good and the fish was good for their cholesterol.

10 years later, the same girlfriends, now 65-years old, discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally they agreed to meet at the Sea Side Restaurant because they had an Early Bird Special and the lighting was good.

10 years later, the same girlfriends, now 75-years old, discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally they agreed to meet at the Sea Side Restaurant because the food wasn't too spicy and it was handicapped accessible.

10 years later, the same girlfriends, now 85-years old, discussed where to meet for dinner. Finally they agreed to meet at the Sea Side Restaurant because they'd never been there before.
~"My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be. :)"

1 comment:

cdnkaro said...

Haha very cute! I've been having a lot of 'grown up' moments and decisions to make lately as well- wouldn't it be nice to just be a teenager again?